Valley River Humane Society (VRHS) was founded in 1969 as the Cherokee Humane Society. The initial Shelter and Thrift Store were located on county property at the old landfill on Fairview Road in Marble. In 1997, VRHS received $250,000 from the estate of Lillian Clifford which was used to purchase 12.5 acres in Marble off Hwy 74 and build the present Shelter.
VRHS takes in about 2000 homeless pets and strays a year, split about equally between dogs and cats. Both cats and dogs are adopted locally; and dogs are transported to the Connecticut Humane Society and other “good” Rescues for adoption in the Northeast.
Finding homes for Shelter animals takes time and effort. We need your help. Pet owners, please fix your pets and report animal abuse to the authorities. Please do not buy pets from the unregulated and inhumane puppy mills.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS:
- Jim Gerke, President
- Jeff Manson, Vice President
- George Lindsey, Treasurer
- Shelley Shulz, Secretary
- Nick & Diana Ciarlante, Directors at Large
- Lorraine Myers, Director at Large
- Lisa Pursell, Director at Large
- Sherry Raines, Director at Large
- Ariane Reeves, Director at Large